Monday, April 7, 2014

Cable Scholarship

http://www.directtvbeatscable.com/technology-scholarship.html

In a world that is constantly growing in technology, keeping up is important. My phone is probably the most important technology I own.  It is amazing. My cell phone is a portable computer. I can put it in my pocket and get on the internet whenever I want. I do not have to worry about it getting wet because the phone itself is waterproof. I use it during class sometimes when I want to research something. Some of my teachers even communicate with me through text and e-mail. I also use my phone for fun. I have games, music, YouTube, and I can text my friends all from the little device in my pocket.
I saw a quote from Mitchell Kapor saying “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant”, which I agree with completely. I use the internet for both an information source and a tool to waste time. When I use it for an information source, I will Google something and fifty plus pages of answers come rushing back at me. It is a great resource but also an over stimulant. There is a joke saying “If it is not on the first 2 pages of my Google search answers, it does not exist.” No one can look through that much. But at least it is there for us to use.
For me personally, my cell phone does not control my life. I know some teenagers, who, their cell phones dictate everything they do, which I also understand. Having so much power in your hand is amazing. I am a huge fan of social media. It is probably not healthy. Whenever I get bored I can just flip my phone on and get on Facebook or Twitter. That is probably why I love my phone the most. That, and I am a HUGE fan of music. I can put all my music on my phone and have it right there. I have an app called Slacker, which is a portable radio station. If I do not have the song on my phone that I want to listen to and I cannot find it on Slacker, I can go to YouTube and look it up. I listen to music constantly so having this ability is so wonderful for me.
I also watch movies on my phone! I have the Netflix app so if I do not have anything to do, I can entertain myself with a movie or a TV show. These things are just what I use when I am bored. I have read books on my phone before of I e-mailed my teachers or my school when I had a question about something. And I haven’t even gone over phone calling or texting! At my dad’s house, we do not even have a home phone system anymore. Everyone in my family owns a cell phone so it is cheaper for us to just have our cell phones in case we needed to get a hold of each other for some reason. My parents can call me or text me anytime, even if I am not at home.
The world is changing. Everything is revolving around technology and it is truly amazing. My most important piece of technology is my cell phone, but I have so many items around me and all of it is so important and useful. Technology is amazing in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment